- NEVER use shared tester cosmetics on your face. Test new products on the back of your hand, and buy from stores that have a return policy that will accept opened cosmetics.
- Clean your brushes at least once a week. Cleaning after every use is best for all brushes, and essential for brushes used for liquids and creams. Once a week is ok for brushes used 1-2 times per week with powdered products of the same color. Cleaning removes bacteria and pigment, preventing "muddy" looks.
- Sanitize your cosmetics frequently, ideally after every use. See below for sanitizers.
- Scoop out creams and liquids onto a palette, using a clean spatula or a pump. Recap tighly after use. If your fingers never touch the product, it is much less likely to become contaminated.
- Brush cleaners:
- For washing:
- For daily cleaning/color switching, try one of these products:
- Cosmetic sanitizers:
Thinking about going pro? Check out my book, The Mercenary Makeup Artist: Breaking into the Business with Style.
Did you enjoy this post? If so, why not sign up for our email list and get posts by email? Or if that's not your style, stay in the loop with an occasional newsletter instead.