|Image: Vineet Radhakrishnan via Flickr|
What is Ashy Skin?
Ashy skin is a condition where skin appears gray or dull. This tends to occur more often on those with tanned or darker skin, or those in dry climates. Ashy skin is caused by dryness and is especially common on legs, arms, and feet. Some also call out knees and elbows as trobule spots.
What are some natural options to cure ashy skin?
- When bathing and showering, use lukewarm water (not hot), and keep showers short. Try bath products with seaweed.
- When towel drying, pat skin dry (don't rub).
- Exfoliate 1-2 times per week using either a dry brush, exfoliating gloves, or a body scrub. Be gentle!
- Choose a non-deordorant soap, as deodorant soaps can be drying.
- Use an alochol-free moisturizer on the body after bathing, and apply lotion throughout the day as needed.
- If you live in a very dry climate, consider using a humidifier.
If the problem persists, see a dermatologist in case ashy skin is a symptom of psoriasis or eczema. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix with the natural and vegan solutions above!