Ready in just 15 minutes, this delicious recipe will leave you satisfied. As an added bonus, it's also much more affordable than eating out and can be adapted to a variety of tastes. It's even gluten-free. Read on for the recipe and variations to suit any budget! Click the "Print Friendly" button below for a printable or PDF version.
- 1 packet taco seasoning (such as Simply Organic)
- 1 package refrigerated tofu
- 1 BPA-free can black beans
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen onions
- 1 cup fresh or frozen assorted bell peppers
- Romaine lettuce
- Corn tortillas
- Drain tofu and crumble into a large pan.
- Sauté for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- While tofu is cooking, start 2 cups water boiling in a saucepan or steamer.
- When tofu is browned, add prepared taco seasoning, beans, and veggies.
- When steamer or saucepan is boiling, place a few corn tortillas in a steamer. (Or set in a colander and place above saucepan, covered lightly, leaving space for steam to vent.) Steam for 3 minutes or until supple. Remove from heat.
- Cook tofu mixture until desired consistency. (I wait until most of the water has evaporated.)
- Prepare tacos by layering a piece of lettuce, then spooning in the tofu mixture.
- Use dried beans instead of canned (click here for cooking times)
- Mix your own taco seasoning (look for spices in the bulk foods section)
- Buy selected organic produce based on the Dirty Dozen/Clean 15
- Buy whole romaine (not romaine hearts)
- For nachos, serve over tortilla chips and add Daiya cheddar cheese
- Serve over brown rice instead of on corn tortillas
- Add salsa, guacamole, fresh avocado and/or corn
- Use Soyrizo instead of tofu
- Swap out the romaine for baby greens or other nutritious greens
Did you enjoy this post? If so, why not sign up for our email list and get posts by email? Or if that's not your style, stay in the loop with an occasional newsletter instead.