Article: Cruelty-Free and Vegan Makeup for Halloween Costumes
|Image: Vancouver Film School via Flickr|
The good news is that the majority of popular costume and stage makeup companies are cruelty-free. Look for brands such as Mehron, Ben Nye, Kryolan, Cinema Secrets, and Cover FX, which all don't test on animals. Mehron is one of the most popular brands in costume shops, and they are on PETA's Does Not Test on Animals list. Terra Firma Cosmetics, a cruelty-free company, also carries safer face paints.
As you may have expected, cruelty-free doesn't always mean vegan. While some of the companies mentioned above have products that don't contain animal products, they are not fully vegan. If you are looking for more unusual makeup, especially for more regular use, I highly recommend checking out the sources listed below.
- Creamy White Makeup: For that perfect ghost or vampire look, Manic Panic and Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics offer creamy white makeup.
- Bright Makeup: For face paints, Monave offers two vegan palettes. For colorful lips, check out brands such as Lime Crime, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, and Manic Panic. For eye shadows and other pigments, try Lime Crime, Manic Panic, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, Pink Quartz Minerals, and Cheeky Cosmetics.
- Black Lipstick: Zosimos Botanicals has a gentle option in a shade called Onyx. Many brands that specialize in colorful lipsticks also offer blacks. Check out Lime Crime, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, and Manic Panic.
- Bright Hair Colors: Manic Panic offers vibrant hair colors, clip-in strips, and even wigs.
- Accessories: Manic Panic is an excellent source for cruelty-free accessories, such as false lashes (both here and here), glitters, and cruelty-free boas.
- Kits: Pink Quartz Minerals offers affordable, all-inclusive vegan sets for specific looks. Check out this page for their current offerings. Also, E.L.F. (a vegan company) is offering Disney Villain gift sets at select Walgreens.
|Image: Vancouver Film School via Flickr|
After much research, I haven't been able to confirm any vegan spirit gums. If you really need spirit gum, look for a cruelty-free brand. Otherwise, you could consider a different costume, or using makeup instead.
If you plan to apply makeup on anyone other than yourself, you may be interested in my previous posts on Sanitizing Makeup for Face Painting, How to Sanitize Your Cosmetics, and Proper Brush Care.
Disclosure notice: Some products mentioned in this review were sent to me free of charge by the manufacturer for review. No additional compensation was accepted and the opinions are my own. Please verify any claims with the manufacturer, especially if you have any allergies or concerns.
Did you enjoy this post? If so, why not sign up for our email list and get posts by email? Or if that's not your style, stay in the loop with an occasional newsletter instead.
This blog accepts forms of advertising, sponsorship, or other forms of compensation.
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog may be compensated or given a product free to provide an opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation or free products for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
Amazon Associate Disclosure:
Kaylin's Kit is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, endless.com, smallparts.com or myhabit.com.
For questions about this blog, please click here to contact me.